Let It Snow

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42

The weather forecast for Lewes, DE called for blizzard conditions starting in the evening of Friday, January 28, through the day on Saturday January 29.  After a quick trip to Aldi to stock up on a short grocery list, we were ready!

When Connie and I awoke on Saturday we saw the storm in progress.  The wind gusts sculpted the dry snow into snow dunes in the "backyard" common area at the back of our condo.  Persistent in their search for food, our usual community of birds clung to the feeders.  And we were warm indoors.

In the midst of the storm, I was conflicted about the need to spend an entire day indoors.

My usual Saturday schedule begins with more than a few hours of homework from my job at Clear Space Theatre. Some of you may be familiar with the fact that you can often get a full days homework done at home in half the time it would take to complete the same tasks in a busy office!  After I finish my homework, Connie and I usually spend Saturday afternoon running errands, often including lunch at our table at Chck-fil-a.  In winter the day ends with reading or watching ACC basketball.

But I was lost on Blizzard Saturday.  By being indoors at home all day there were no needed errands.  My routine was disrupted. I told Connie I felt lost.  She, of course, was happy to watch a full afternoon of ACC basketball.  

As the storm continued outside and my disorientation continued inside, I recalled the story of Mary and Martha.  I wanted to keep to my busy routine, but God called me to calm my disorientation and choose "what is better."

As the day went on, I was able to enjoy the time at home with Connie.  Sitting at the table by the window, I worked and listened to music by pianist Jean Cotter on my Bose speaker.  With nowhere to go, I spread my homework out over the full day with breaks for reading and watching basketball with Connie. 

After listening to God's still small voice, and letting go of my need to stick to the Saturday Routine, the snow day was better than I ever expected.  Amen.

Comments

  1. You are truly in reality and function a relative of Shakespeare. This is a beautiful piece of prose and the foundations of your thinking were in the right place. Thank you, Love Carol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Dogs...

Greetings from South Carolina!

Thinking About Thanksgiving