Long Live the Queen!

Today I wanted to follow up on the health of Queen Elizabeth.  Maybe it is because she has a physical resemblance to my late Grandmother Gross who lived to age 96.  You can be the judge.  


In the news article about the real Queen, the reporter noted the doctors advised Her Majesty to "cut back on alcohol consumption."  I found this amusing for two reasons: 1) just how much alcohol is the Queen drinking that she needs medical advice to cut back, and 2) at her age, what does it matter?

Along the same parallel, in her late 80s, my Grandmother Gross became concerned about cutting down on cholesterol.  In her case, 2) above seemed to apply at the time.

My immediate family were staunch Methodists and thus alcoholic beverages were not part of our menu.  My mother told stories of how my Great-Grandfather Webb would hide his beer under the porch steps when they spent summers at Piney Point in southern Maryland.

Our most adventuresome relative was "cousin" Eunice Mitchell.  Eunice had sayings for everything, usually beginning with "honey."  Her motto for living was "Honey, I like to glitter."  In her early 80s, Eunice drove a silver Mercury Cougar and sported a custom mink coat from Gartenhaus. When asked why she did not wear pants, Eunice replied "Honey, my legs are too pretty to cover up!"

Eunice Mitchell offered two insights into her preferences for alcoholic beverages.  Her first story involved a drive where she got lost on the way home, ending with "Honey, I was so lost I poured myself two double scotches when I got home."  

Later in life - for her it was about age 88, Eunice moved to the Hermitage, a residential life care community in Alexandria, VA.  I knew she kept wine and sherry in her room for nights when her friends gathered to play cards.  After her move to assisted living, I asked her if she still served drinks on card nights.  Her reply: "Honey, when I moved in here I had to give my stash away!"

 Eunice Celebrates

Eunice always had an upbeat outlook on life.  When it was likely she would live to 100 in a new century, I mentioned that her grave marker was pre-engraved with "19__," I asked her what we should do.  She answered immediately, "well, Honey, I guess you will need to buy me a new tombstone!"

Eunice Mitchell was the same age then (95) as the Queen is now when Eunice had to "give her stash away," so maybe the Queen's doctors are on to something to advise a reduction in her consumption of alcohol.

Eunice lived to 101 years and 6 months.  Long live the Queen!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Dogs...

Greetings from South Carolina!

Thinking About Thanksgiving